As my husband and I prepared to welcome our son in June of 2016, we decided to hire a photographer to capture those precious moments of our labor and delivery.
No matter how your labor/delivery ends up going, I believe one of the greatest investments you can make is having a birth photographer there to document each moment.
The image above shows the final bit of my labor and my delivery.
Everyone’s story is different.
But here are some of the things you can capture (as seen above):
- Mama, exhausted and resting between pushes as Dad and doula coach her.
- Mama, doing her best in those final pushes.
- Mama, almost ready to deliver her baby.
- The doula, smiling and cheering Mama on.
- Mama, holding Dad’s hand as she gets ready for that final push.
- The baby, all gooey and screaming, just after being delivered.
- Mama, receiving baby on her chest as she cries tears of joy and relief.
- Dad, smiling over Mama as they both take in the beauty of their baby.
- Mama and Dad, kissing, thrilled.
- Mama, giving her baby that first sweet kiss.
- Dad, cutting the umbilical cord as Mama smiles playfully at the photographer.
- Dad, holding up the first diaper.
- That first latch.
- Dad, counting off the people he’s texted to let them know that baby has arrived.
- Mama and Dad, smiling as baby rests under a nice, warm blanket.
As I went through and made this collage, I teared up as I relived those moments. If I didn’t have those pictures, everything would be a blur.
Thank you, Amy, for capturing those moments for us.
Have you had a birth photographer? If you have, would you say it was a worthwhile investment? Why? What would you say to someone considering investing in a birth photographer?